Friday, May 09, 2008

I am such a slacker!

With this blog anyway. My life, however, is filling up quite nicely.

I had a yen back when I was in Pennsylvania to act in a play, but I couldn't bring myself to try out there. Plus, the only amateur theater seemed to be NRT, which was good, but since I wasn't a student when I wanted to act, I didn't feel right auditioning.

So, fast forward to a couple weeks ago, when I finally worked up the nerve to go to an audition. I'd been keeping track of auditions on madstage.com, but with my luck, all the plays that sounded interesting from the brief synopsis ended up being too far a drive away to even think about auditioning for. Until recently, that is. I decided to try my hand at auditioning for a series of short plays put on by Stage Q here in Madison. That's the city's gay theater. (Yes, for those that read this and didn't know or hadn't figured it out, I'm gay.) So, I auditioned and waited to hear back. Unfortunately I didn't get a part, but I am going to be able to be an assistant stage manager for the plays. I'm quite content with that, because that way I can see what goes on behind the scenes and perhaps learn a little bit. Plus, I've been meaning to get involved in something other than work and sleep while I'm here. So, yay for me!

However, this isn't going to prevent me from auditioning for other stuff. I want to get up on stage dammit. I know, I don't seem like the type that wants a lot of attention, but sometimes I can be a real attention whore. Plus, I've often felt like I wanted to step into a character's shoes for a while, just to see if I could breathe life into someone else.

Luckily, I know I'll be having another chance at auditioning near the end of the month or early next month. Some coworkers have decided to start a theater group, and I'll be damned if I'm not going to join. I don't know what the first play we're putting on is yet, though. They haven't determined it. It should be interesting, though.

So, that's my life in a nutshell. I'm just happy to be getting out and involved in something. Hopefully this will lead to many, many good things in my life.

Look at me being all optimistic. I'm not used to that. :)

I have no other news, though. Work is still going well, although I'm starting to feel the drag of not having tons of vacations anymore. That's the one thing I miss about being a student. There were always days off here and there. Not in the workforce, though. I really should use one or two of my vacation days. I'm trying to save enough so that I can hopefully take the days between Christmas and New Year's off. That's my goal anyway. But a day off here and there to just relax and sleep and not worry about going to work sounds wonderful, too.

And on that note, I'm off. It's about time I go to bed, I think. Good night, all of you out there in the blogosphere!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Being behind the scenes is so fun! It's really interesting to see how everything comes together to produce what the audience sees. What play is it? Have a great time :)

John said...

It's a series of short plays that were written by people around the country. None of them are ones that I'd ever heard of, but just about every one of them is hilarious! I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product.