Thursday, April 13, 2006

Even More Randomness

I know that I should write an actual blog entry at some point, but lately a lot of random things have happened, and none of them would make for a long (or cohesive) entry, hence the random thoughts.

- Last night was poker night. Instead of Texas Hold 'Em, we played seven card stud. I think I like stud better than Hold 'Em. It requires a bit more strategy and some luck, but not as much as in Hold 'Em. Of course, I may be a little biased because I won the small tournament last night, which was fun. I just kept getting lucky, and semi-bluffing at some pots. The only bad thing is that it was a limit game and at the beginning the limits weren't going up all that fast, so it took a long time to actually finish the game. I think we started a little after 8:00 and I ended up leaving at 12:45.

- After the game, as I was driving home, there was an amazing thunderstorm. Lots of lightning, some nice cracks of thunder, basically very impressive. I love thunderstorms anyway, I always have. In fact, when there's a severe thunderstorm watch/warning, instead of going someplace safe, I sit by the window and watch. Anyway, last night was cool, and we had another one this afternoon. It wasn't quite as impressive, but still nice enough to comment on.

- I'm getting really tired of the bus drivers in this town. I got on a blue loop when I left Walker Building, and there was this woman bus driver. I've seen her before, so that wasn't the shocking part. First of all, she never really seems all that happy. I mean, I know that people who drive bus probably had higher expectations out of life and probably didn't think they'd end up doing that. Still, though, people should at least be friendly, or be able to moderately fake it. That didn't really surprise me either because she always looks pissed off about something. But today, she was just a horrid driver. Every stop we came to she seemed to slam on the brakes. Luckily, I got a seat, but there were some times where I had to brace myself on the back of the seat in front of me. Seriously, if you're going to drive a bus, you need to realize that it is a big vehicle and needs more time to stop than that. It's not that hard to realize. Plus, bus drivers should at least take enough care to not have people being thrown all over the place. It was just awful.

- One more random thought. This one about a commercial. It's for those EPT pregnancy tests. Specifically I'm talking about the one where this woman is running and a voiceover of her says, "I can't concentrate lately. Could I be pregnant?" OK, it may just be me, but I don't see how those two thoughts connect at all. Maybe it's because I'm a guy that I find that odd. If any women readers out there want to enlighten me, I'd love to hear about it. But, for me, I can't concentrate a lot of the time, and I'm fairly certain I'm not pregnant. Of course, if I were, I'd be exploiting it, getting as much money as I can. I'm going off on a tangent here, which is getting a little weird, so I'm going to stop and ask again for women's opinions on this commercial.

Well, I think that's it for now. At least that's all I can think of, but I'm sure more will come to me sooner or later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*clearing throat* female here!

I haven't seen that specific commercial, but those thoughts sometimes make sense. You should check to see if she has a ring on her finger (you'll notice the ring very prominently in commercials where there is a female and a male together in a compromising situation. Check it out - mattress commercials, breakfast commercials, condom commercials). If there's no ring, then it's quite possible she's flipping out about a bad hookup, and then the thought of being pregnant can defintely be all consuming.

But even in that situation, you don't say "wow, I'm having a hard time concentrating, I wonder if I'm preggo," it's more like "damnit, I'm obsessed with the thought of being pregnant and I can't think about anything else!"

So there ya go :) You're right, those two thoughts do not connect in that specific order, but there exists a connection between those.

Did that make sense?

John said...

Yes, that makes sense. I can see how there would be a loose connection, but to go from one thought to the other made no sense to me.

The next time I see that commercial, I'll have to check for the ring. :)

Thanks for enlightening me! :)