Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Cingular

I keep seeing these commercials on TV about how Cingular has the fewest dropped calls of any wireless carrier nationwide. I even got a little flyer about it in my mailbox today. I have a big problem with this group of people that did the research. I know they're supposed to be separate from Cingular itself, but I'm beginning to wonder about that.

My main problem with the whole idea that they have the fewest dropped calls is that I have a large number of dropped calls. One even happened tonight while I was talking to my mom. So, I'm thinking that either I'm an outlier in the population considered, or they're lying with their statistics. Yes, I live in a woodsy area, and it's kind of a crapshoot as to whether I get a decent signal or not. I still tend to lean that the sample of the populations considered probably avoids areas like central PA, for example.

Of course, I may be wrong. If anyone out there that lives in central PA and has Cingular as their wireless service (mainly Karen, but others are welcome as well) wants to comment on my thoughts, feel free. Comments are also welcome from people who have had Cingular in the past and may have switched to a competitor or have never had Cingular at all. I'm just trying to get my own sample, which obviously will be biased due to the region I'm looking at, but I'd like to see if Cingular is actually being honest with their "independent research".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, we all know I HATE Cingular. Their customer service people are asshats and their service sucks.

However, I think they get away with saying "fewest dropped calls, YAY!" because I've never had a dropped call, it's more like I have poor reception or none at all. Once I'm able to get through, I stay on.

Or maybe they know when they're feeling particularly droppy and make those days the ones where I never get any calls at all. People call and leave messages, but I have no other record of them calling me.

Stupid Cingular, AT&T was WAY better.

John said...

I've had the poor reception to no reception thing many times. That I could deal with. A lot of the time, though, I call someone and it cuts out in the middle of a conversation. Just the other night I called my mom and we were talking as normal, and then all of a sudden the line cuts out. I can't explain why. I've had other times where it seems that if I moved the slightest little bit, my phone would cut out. It's just annoying!!

OK, I'm done ranting now. :)