Thursday, December 01, 2005

Random Thoughts

This post contains some random thoughts, none of which really seem worthy of a blog entry by themselves.

- I'm becoming increasingly aware that I like physical oceanography better than chemical oceanography, which probably isn't good since my main work is in the chemical realm. All the papers I've read on physical stuff like sea level rise and mixed layer depth I can sit down and read and not fall asleep or want to put my head through a wall. I guess I maybe should mention something to Ray about it, but I think that can wait.

- It's been cloudy all week here in State College. It gets pretty damn depressing waking up in the morning and still feeling like it's nighttime. But, this is State College in winter, so I'll have to get used to it.

- I keep seeing this car in the BJC parking lot with the cutest bumper sticker on it. It says, "Bush for lawn ornament." I know it's from the last election, but I still smile when I see it.

- I've been craving chocolate like you wouldn't believe lately. I can't seem to figure out why, though. I just can't seem to get enough. Very strange, but well, look who's typing this.

- I could use another break already. I just got back from Thanksgiving less than a week ago, and I'm already exhausted. That's because it's the end of the semester and no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to have an easy workload the last two weeks of the semester. At least it's almost over.

I thought I had other random thoughts, but I can't seem to remember them at the moment. Hmmm... they'll probably come back to me at a strange time. Anyway, I need to head off to colloquium.

2 comments:

Steve said...

-It never hurts to talk about a change of focus, though you're far enough along right now that you might be better off finishing this road, then dabbling later. You could also just be in burn-out. We're a lot alike, you and I, and we've both been plugging away for years.

-Weather has been wacky here. Cold, then it went up to 60 yesterday. Then it's cold again today. It's a wonder I'm not dying with an awful cold.

-I don't like bumber stickers that preach. Not political, not religious, not related to abortion or choice. Give me a good old, "Don't follow me, I'm lost too!" or "If you can read this, stop tailgating!"

-It's that chocolate time of year. I've been snacking on Rocher's all week.

-We had a 5 day break for Thanksgiving. Getting back, I need another break, but not time off. I need a break from idiocy. So many little things are just not working out. It's more frustrating than not having time off. All day is spent putting out stupid fires. Calgon, take me away!

-For me, if I reported on all my random thoughts, I'd never stop writing! :) But thanks for sharing these. It was fun.

John said...

Yeah, I probably just am in burnout at the moment. This semester has taken a lot out of me. Unfortunately, I can't really afford to be completely burned out with the next candidacy exam coming up in just over a month. But I do think I need to rest and relax when I can, otherwise I may need to be put in an institution. :)

As for chocolate, I've been eating Lundt truffles. So very good. It's almost becoming addictive. :)