Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I wonder if this is what the Waltons felt like....

Happy birthday to me! I just turned 26 today. Normally, I get jazzed by my birthday, but this year I'm not quite as excited as I normally am. Part of it is because of all the tests I'm going to be getting in the next week and a half. I'm kind of nervous about them, even though I'm fairly certain that the results from them will be normal.

The other part is that I think I'm getting a cold. I've been feeling kind of weird lately. Sort of run down, and I've had a bad case of dry mouth. Yeah, I know that's a sign of getting drunk, but I haven't had a drink in ages. Seriously. I had at first thought it was from one of the drugs that I'm taking to help with my headaches, but now I think it might be from whatever bug I've caught.

That's just my luck, though. Getting sick on my birthday. That would also explain why I don't have any urge to have people over for a dinner like I did for the past couple years. I just have no ambition to make a big meal and have company. Maybe some other time, but not now, unless I feel miraculously better tomorrow.

Other than that, not much else is new. I opened my gifts today. Mom got me Star Wars Episode III and some candy and a Pocket Dragon. Bree also got me a Pocket Dragon, and the movie was from her, too. From Ingrid I got Monty Python and the Holy Grail on DVD, so now I have two copies of it because I had one on VHS. She also got me some other little things.

When I went to Greensburg to visit with her, we went to see "Prime." It was a very cute movie. Meryl Streep is fantastic in it. So funny. I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the ending of it, but at least it felt like an ending, unlike some movies.

Tonight, I'm praying that the power doesn't go out. A new episode of Lost is on, and from what I've read in the spoilers, it looks like it will be great. However, we're getting thunderstorms at the moment, with gusty winds, and the last time that happened (Sunday) my power went out right in the middle of Desperate Housewives. I was a little peeved by that. So, here's hoping that doesn't happen during Lost.

Although, when the power went out on Sunday, it was actually kind of nice and peaceful. Sometimes it's nice not to rely on electronics to amuse myself. So, I did crossword puzzles by candlelight, while wondering if this is what the Waltons did.

But still, if the power goes out tonight, I'll be mighty pissed. Luckily, though, Mom is taping it for me, so when she and Bree come out here next week, I'll ask her to bring it.

With that, I'm off to go watch some TV and just rest so I can maybe kill this damn bug before it gets too bad.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Suuuper happy happy birthday!
Suuuper happy happy day!

Hip hip hooray ray ray!
Happy happy hip hooray!

Anonymous said...

Happy B-day John! It sucks that you're sick on your birthday :( Hopefully your power didn't go out ... I understand the frustration of getting thwarted when looking forward to favorite shows. President Bush gave an "important address" in the midst of Buffy once, that wasn't cool (first because Buffy is awesome and 2nd, Bush sucks)

John said...

Thanks Steve!

The power didn't go out yesterday, but stupid ABC must have lost power or something because there was just a blank screen when I turned it on. It came back halfway through Lost, which was upsetting, but at least Mom taped it. :)

I think I remember the Buffy thing when Bush interrupted for something or other. I wasn't thrilled either, mainly because I don't like Bush. :)

John said...

Thanks, Josh! I think I'm starting to slowly get better. Sleeping till noon today helped a lot. :) We should definitely do players some Sunday. The next few don't work well for me, but after Thanksgiving, we should make plans. :) Oh, and I know what you mean about the community. I started to have doubts a while ago... If you ever want to chat, feel free to IM. :)