Sunday, January 23, 2005

Digging out

Well, I guess technically I won't be digging out until tomorrow morning when I drive to campus. But most people here are digging out from a moderate (but much less than what was forecasted) snowstorm. I'd love to be in Massachusetts right now, where the forecast is for up to three feet of snow. I've never seen that much snow from one storm. I've seen that much from several snowstorms because previous snow wouldn't melt, but never from one storm.

Unfortunately, today I couldn't sleep past 8:30. Normally, I wouldn't have that problem on a Sunday, but today was a bit different. I woke up and my room was 84F. I don't care who you are, but there is no excuse for a building in winter to be that warm. Of course, this is because I'm used to chillier homes in winter. Chilly meaning below 70F, which I think is much more reasonable. I'm still trying to figure out why all the heat comes in my room. So, now I have my window open, and it's only about 10F outside. So, hopefully my room will cool off at some point before I go to bed tonight.

The confrontation that I've been bracing myself for for the past couple days finally happened last night. All I'll say is this: I'm not sure things will be exactly the same between me and my friends, but at least things have been talked out, and some understanding has come from it. And while I'm not thrilled with how things were handled, both by me and by many of the others involved in this drama, there is nothing anyone can really do about it besides work things through and keep on going through it. Besides, life is full of struggles, and how you get through them builds character and says a lot about who you are. Wow, that was a very philosophical statement, wasn't it? :) Here's another one to describe drama in all forms. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Unfortunately, Hitler was the one to first say that, as I've just recently learned, but it's still a good thing to think about.

I've also finally started grading papers for the class I'm teaching. And I must say, I'm impressed with about half the students' papers so far. A lot of these students put a lot of time into making sure things are understandable for the person grading them. Most of the time, I can't find anything wrong with the problems these students did, which is not a bad thing by any means.

Today is football day here in Pennsylvania. It's not often that all the teams located within a state are in the playoffs. I think it would be really cool to have a completely PA Super Bowl. Alas, the team I really like (Green Bay) got knocked out of the playoffs a couple weeks ago. And since I live with Steeler fans, I will root for them. I think they deserve a chance at the Super Bowl, since it has been so long since they won one. I may even root for the Eagles (gasp!) just to see a PA Super Bowl. We'll see how I feel when that game comes on.

Well, I suppose I should stop writing for a bit and finish up my grading. I'd end of with a quote like my sister does, but nothing comes to mind at the moment. So, I'll just say goodbye and be done with it. :)

No comments: