Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Hurdles

I've been thinking lately while sort of preparing for the candidacy exam that it just seems like one big unnecessary hurdle. I mean, I realize that there needs to be something for people to do to show that they are qualified to continue on to get a PhD, but it seems like a test isn't necessarily the best way to do it. I've often heard in science that a lot of it is collaboration, but yet, we have to take this test ourselves. I know that some things need to be memorized, but when did it become necessary for us to work problems all by ourselves in order to continue on? We're even encouraged to work with people on homework assignments and in our research, but not on the candidacy exam. It just seems odd.

I also realize that there are some things we learn that we should memorize, but do we really need to be tested on them? I like the idea that some other departments have. Some give people a recent topic that has been researched and have them do a presentation on it. It seems like more of a reasonable thing to do. But, what do I know about what the meteo department feels is necessary for a PhD student to know?

That's just what I've been thinking recently. Only because during the reviews sessions, sometimes I feel very confident about the test, and others I REALLY don't. But, I'll stick it through and hopefully pass. If not, I do have a backup plan.

Well, that's about it for now. I'm getting sleepy and may go to bed even earlier than I have in probably years.

No comments: